Monday, May 30, 2011

When to Prequel Before or After?

Pride and Prejudice is a classic novel by Jane Austen that was originally published in 1813.

Seth Grahame-Smith wrote a parody of it which was published in 2009 titled Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. In 2010 he published a prequel titled Dawn of the Dreadfuls.





I never got a chance to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies when it was first released. Recently, I was at the bookstore and inquired about it and was very excited that they had a copy at a reduced price. I love sales! And as I was doing a tiny squee, the sales girl mentioned the prequel.



The word prequel hadn’t registered yet, when she handed me the book; also, at a reduced price. Well, what was I to do but to speed walk to checkout? Which was exactly what I did.


Now, I have a decision to make. In which order do I read them? Should I read the story that came out first followed by the prequel? Or should I begin from the beginning by reading the prequel first?




I normally read books in the order in which they were released but that is also the order in which I have acquired them. I’m leaning towards reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies first but that little zombie girl on the cover of Dawn of the Dreadfuls keeps nagging at me with her little zombie voice to read her book first. How does one ignore zombies?


Luckily for me I’m still in the middle of a book, so that gives me some time to make a decision. Little zombie girl will just have to wait and find out which book I will read first.











1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm back from my trip. :-) I tend to read things in the order that they were published. It makes me appreciate the prequels more. Happy reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete