Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Christmas Blizzard of 2010

I was snowed in and had to shovel my way out of the house.  First, I had to get the door open which was difficult with all that snow piled up against it.  After, pushing hard against the door a few times, I made some headway.  Still inside the house, with the door partially open, I began to shovel until I could see the first step.  My next door neighbor, a nice 70 year old lady waved at me – all smiles as if to say “look at the young'un struggle with a little snow”.  She had already been at it for an hour.  Little by little I paved a path wide enough for me to walk through.  The winds were very strong and kept blowing the snow about & I had to back track a few times and scrape the floor with the shovel to make sure that the path would remain clear.  Once at the front of my property, I began clearing a path on the sidewalk so that people could get by. 
After 2 ½ hours of this, I was hurting everywhere.  I’ve been told before to lift with the legs and not my back, but this relies on the knees bending.  I have bad knees so bending them repeatedly is no fun for me.  Eventually, I had to bend and lift using my back muscles.  Well, I couldn’t do that for too long either and I gave up.  There was enough of a path cleared and I dragged myself back into the house.  I took some Aleve and napped for a couple of hours.  And my neighbor, that sweet 70 year old lady, was still shoveling when I called it quits.  She’s amazing although it was a little embarrassing for me, since I’m 30 years younger!  God Bless her!

No comments:

Post a Comment